Friday, June 11, 2010

Recovering



Had my surgery last week.
Feeling pretty good - better than I expected.
The morning of my surgery was a busy one. Up early, left my sisters with Tim to pick up Maureen at her mom's.
Long quiet drive to Hamilton.
Went to admitting to register, then to the day surgery ward.
Then sent to Nuclear Medicine to have the lovely radioactive dye injected (not pleasant)...
Then back to ultrasound for the 'guide wire localization'...even less pleasant.
Overall though, I decided most of it was a cake walk compared to childbirth!
Back to the day surgery ward briefly with a lovely styrofoarm cup taped over my 'guide wire'. We joked that it was my 'Madonna Boob'. Then off to the OR. Again, never a pleasant feeling being wheeled away on a stretcher from your loved ones.
On a side note, I still can't figure out why they make you lie on a bed to be wheeled around when you are perfectly capable of walking? Hmmm
My actual surgery was pretty quick and I was discharged from the day surgery ward not long after I got back there.

Overall, pretty uneventful. The staff were all amazing (except for one cranky nurse - who I've decided to erase from my memory and the anesthetist who was complaining about the surgeon being late - which by the way I did not need to hear about minutes before being anesthetised!). My surgeon was especially lovely.

I had a lovely but quick visit with Luke and then spent the night at a fancy pants hotel (thanks dad!) with my sisters and Maureen. Lots of tears, lots of laughter, lots of yummy food and unfortunately also lots of SNORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was actually comical. There were 4 beds in the suite. At one point throughout the night I slept in every single one of them trying to find a quiet spot to sleep sans snoring - soon realized that was an impossibility!

Drove back home the next day - again, feeling better than I expected. The biggest nuisance was all of the tape and dressings.

No follow-up from my surgery until June 25th which feels like a lifetime away (but I am told this is quick)...so back to the waiting game for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment