OK...so I am not completley bald but I am certainly getting close.
I was going to have Tim shave my head but since my hair doesn't seem to be falling out quite like it was a few weeks ago I've decided to spare the few remaining strands that have survived the assault thus far. At least when I wear a hat I still have a few whisps on display - which for me, is better than nothing! For the first time since all of this began, I am now starting to look like a cancer patient (insert: sniff, sniff).
As for being breastless - I had one 'expansion' done prior to starting chemo and now have to wait until I finish to have the rest of my expansions. My Plastic Surgeon says it is fine to continue but my Oncologist says no because she is worried about the risk of infection. I politely suggested that they discuss this as a team in order to reach some kind of consensus!
I had my second treatment on October 28th - while it was far from pleasant it was also far less incapacitating than my first treatment.
The day before my treatment, I met with a doctor who specializes in hereditary cancers...and not surprisingly, I received no answers just more questions. I have now been referred to a research group in Cleveland Ohio that specialize in P-Ten mutations. They will study my 'mutation' to try and get a better sense of whether it is 'functional' (in other words if it is clinically significant). The results of this likely won't be available for a year or so. In the meantime, the message I was given was to carry on status quo.
I can't help but ask - when did this become my life? I couldn't have dreamed up more drama if I tried.
Treatment #3 is scheduled for this Thursday...I am already starting to feel nauseous just thinking about it. Chemotherapy is proving to be a big mental challenge for me. When I had my surgeries, I felt really crummy for a few days and then got progressively better...with chemo, I feel really crummy for a few days and then get progressively better just in time to do it all again. YUCK - YUCK - YUCK!
So, as I sign off, on behalf of myself and every other person who has walked this cancer journey before me - I am flipping the big 'C' the biggest bird imaginable.
Cancer really sucks.
No comments:
Post a Comment