Friday, July 23, 2010

Bone scan and PYNK Program

Was in Hamilton on Monday for a bone scan in the nuclear medicine department.
Not a big deal really apart from being injected with more radioactive tracer which despite their reassurances can never be a good thing!

Then on Wed. we went to Toronto to see an advanced practice nurse and medical oncologist at Sunnybrook. They run a very unique program called The PYNK program which has been set up specifically for women with breast cancer under the age of 40. They had some unique resources specifically for young women which was helpful and apart from 1 thing they were pretty much in agreement with all aspects of my care so far which was reassuring.

The one big difference was that in Hamilton I was told that having more children wasn't really a good idea because my tumour was so strongly estrogen driven....in Toronto I was told that new research has shown that becoming pregnant after breast cancer can actually have a protective effect against recurrences. I am baffled at how these opinions can be so polarized from each other. Anyways - I asked for a few references and will need to do some more research on that one for myself (thankfully I still have access to the online library through MAC).

I do continue to be amazed at the range of information (sometimes conflicting) that we have received. I find this overwhelming as a health professional so cannot even begin to imagine how this would make people with no health care experience feel!

Still waiting for a surgery date...

No comments:

Post a Comment