Sunday, July 18, 2010

Decisions Decisions....




Who'd have thunk that there are so many darn decisions/options involved in breast reconstruction?
We met with the plastic surgeon on Friday and as I've learned that not all breast cancers are created equal - it would appear that not all breast reconstruction options are either!
Option #1: The more natural option of using my own tissue from another part of my body - the TRAM, DIEP, TUG etc etc. This option means a much longer surgery and recovery at the outset. The problem is that I don't have much to 'spare' and this fact is compounded by having had an open appendectomy which means that any excess from the right side of my abdomen is 'off limits'.
Option #2: Tissue expanders and implants - a shorter surgery and slightly shorter recovery but 2 surgeries and the likelihood of more surgeries down the road...
I am indecisive at the best of times so to say that I am losing sleep over this honker of a decision is an understatement.
Each option has its pros and cons and of course recovery time is a HUGE consideration because of Luke. Either way at minimum I won't be able to lift him for at least 1 month - erghhhhhhhhh....
ho hum...ho hum...
On a lighter note - the funny part of meeting the surgeon was the fact that he avoided shaking Tim's hand at the end of our meeting because Tim may have shaken his hand a little hard when they greeted each other. It was quite comical because while Tim was trying to be very 'manly' the poor surgeon was probably fearing the loss of his livelihood as Tim crushed his delicate and very expensive hand!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment